Neem- Azadirachta indica
A powerful antibiotic, blood purifier and anti-inflammatory, Neem or Indian iliac is native to Indian subcontinent. It has been used in a variety of ailments for centuries in India. Also known as the village pharmacy, each part of it is of medicinal value.
A 500 mg Alna Neem tablet contains neem extract. Extract is a more potent form of raw herb and can be taken in smaller quantitiy as compared to powder.
Acharaya Charak has classified Neem into kandughn(Useful in itch) group of herbs and tiktaskandh(Bitter) group of herbs.
Its properties are:
Rasa (Taste): Tikta(Bitter), Kashaya(Astringent)
Guna (Qualities): Laghu(Light), Ruksha (Dry)
Virya (Potency): cold potency
Vipaka (post digestion taste): katu( Pungent)
Prabhav (Action): Kaph-Pitta Dosha pacifier, Increases vata dosha, kaashar(useful in cough), jwarhar (useful in fever), krimihar(useful in worms), aruchihar(useful in anorexia)
- Skin disorders: Acne, inflammation and wounds of skin. Due to cold potency, it pacifies Pitta dosha and purifies blood, thus acting as a It also works on bhrajaka pitta which is responsible for maintenance of a healthy and vibrant skin. Due to antibacterial, antifungal and wound healing properties, it works well in protecting blood and skin from infections. It is also useful in psoriasis. Thus problems of the skin due to aggravated pitta are cured by neem.
- Intestinal worms:
A well known krimighan in ayurveda, it is very helpful in intestinal worms.
- Diabetes: Due to its action of Kapha-pitta pacifier, and hypoglycemic effect, it is effective in bringing down the blood sugar levels. It can be used as an adjuvant therapy in very high blood sugar levels and in mild to moderately high blood sugar levels it can be used as a single therapy.
- Fever and infections: Effective in treating fevers, infections and inflammations.
- Respiratory diseases: Useful in cough and cold as an adjuvant therapy (e.g with Sitopaladi churan.)
- Oral and dental care: Neem is useful as an oral deodorant, toothache reliever and for cleaning of teeth.
- Anti-cancer: Neem has shown to inhibit growth of malignant cells; therefore it can be used as an adjuvant therapy in Cancers.